Bedwas Workmens’s Hall
Client: Caerphilly County Borough Council (CBC)
Bedwas Workmen’s Hall is Grade 2 listed building dating back to 1923 and has a rich history.
The town of Caerphilly and its nearby communities did not have any kind of dedicated arts facility to serve the communities of the Caerphilly Basin. This was reflected in consultations for Caerphilly County Borough Council’s Arts Strategy drawn up in 2005.
CPC was commissioned by Caerphilly County Borough Council (CBC) to determine the feasibility, viability and sustainability of potential options for the redevelopment and use of the Bedwas Workmen’s Hall as a venue for arts in the Caerphilly Basin area.
The study and subsequent recommendations focussed on the following areas:
- Further consultation with the local community.
- Redevelopment of the building and arts facilities to enable the enhancement of the cultural programme offered to better suit the needs of the community it serves;
- Consideration of the future usage of the venue for arts activities to be developed in the area;
- Options for refurbishment of the hall in keeping with its Grade II listing;
- Options for the future management of the building to ensure best value and public accountability.
- Advice on funding options and business planning